Do you enjoy walking and would like to help inspire people in your local community to achieve a healthier, more sustainable lifestyle? We’re currently looking for enthusiastic and positive individuals to lead health walks as part of our fantastic Active Travel Hub in Stockton.
At the Active Travel Hub, Stockton we are committed to normalising walking and cycling for more of people’s short, everyday journeys. We do this through a range of activities, including travel advice, developing peoples’ cycling skills, free bike maintenance lessons and Dr Bike sessions and leading rides and walks.
We are looking for someone to support our current health walks in Stockton. Going forward you may have the opportunity to lead your own walks depending on your experience, confidence and desire to do so.
Any of our volunteer roles can be combined together according to the volunteers’ interests.
Summary of tasks:
As a volunteer walk leader, your tasks may include:
- help lead or support regular health walks in the local community including our once monthly ‘Away Day’ walks from various locations (travel is arranged for you on these occasions)
- understand the benefits of walking
- passionately promote walking to participants
- log your volunteer activities and report these to the Hub
- liaise with your local volunteer group coordinator once a month.
We’re looking for someone who is:
- able to communicate clearly
- good at timekeeping
- committed to walking as a way to help improve good health and wellbeing
- understanding of a group’s fitness level and is able to adjust the walk accordingly.
Flexible. Ideally one to two hours per week. (Most walks are roughly an hour long)
Training and support offered
- You’ll receive initial training and an induction session. Health and safety guidelines will be provided.
- Walk leader and appropriate related training will be provided.
- Ongoing support from our Hub officers.
- In addition to this, Sustrans holds a number of training and networking days throughout the year which you can take part in.
- You will receive ongoing feedback on the role and are able to join our online forum of volunteers where you can share ideas and learning with each other.
Safeguarding Children, Young People and Vulnerable Adults
Our Safeguarding Statement sets out Sustrans’ organisational commitment to safeguarding best practice.
Find out more about the role
For more information please contact the officers at The Hub, Stockton at firstname.lastname@example.org or by calling 01642 803441.
To apply for this vacancy, please contact the Hub and ask to be provided with an application form which can be emailed or posted to you. You can also download the application form from the link below.