Preparation is key:
- Make sure you have a good waterproof and you keep it in your bag/pannier at all times.
- Wear lots of warm layers – remember cycling keeps you warm so you want to be able to remove individual layers.
- Mudguards will prevent your clothes from getting dirty.
- Stand out in the dark, wear high visibility gear at night and use your lights.
- Remember to lubricate your chain more often in winter.
- Remember it takes longer to stop in the winter so put your brakes on earlier.
- Remember to keep your tyres pumped up to the optimum inflation so that you are less likely to get a puncture, (the rain makes punctures more likely as twigs etc. stick to your tyres).
- Always carry a spare inner tube and the tools necessary to change it in case you do get a puncture.
- Remember to clean and dry off your bike when you are putting it away so it doesn’t go rusty.
- Check tyres, chain and brakes regularly and park your bike out of the elements as much as possible.